While River Bend is welcoming to geocaching activities, a few guidelines have been established to protect the nature of River Bend and the overall experience of River Bend's visitors. Those searching for existing caches are welcome to do so, of course, as long as they follow River Bend's visitor regulations. However the following guidelines are in effect for anyone who wishes to place a cache of any sort within River Bend Nature Center.
- Any placement of a cache (permanent, temporary, physical, virtual, etc.) must receive prior approval from Barbara Caldwell, Executive Director of River Bend (contact info). When asking to place a new cache, note the GPS coordinates as well as relative location to the nearest trail and features of River Bend (trail map). Note that caches will not be permitted in areas noted as "Nature Conservancy," on steep slopes, near hazardous conditions, close to existing caches, or where it may impact rare natural features or River Bend's program activities. State your caching alias as well as your real name and contact information. Provide details on the cache container you plan to use, the associated caching organization/web site, type of cache, and any other special conditions associated with the cache. Caching web sites are monitored by River Bend and any caches placed without authorization will be removed and an appropriate action taken.
- Due to the growing popularity of these activities, no person will be permitted to place more than four caches in River Bend in order to allow others the ability to do so.
- Once a cache is approved, it may not be relocated more than a few feet without obtaining further permission from River Bend's Executive Director.
- Cache containers and contents may not be buried or submerged, but can be hidden in dry surface vegetation within reach of walkers on the ground without climbing or impacting the natural habitat.
- Cache containers must be permanently labeled on the exterior to note that cache has been approved by River Bend Nature Center, River Bend's phone number (507-332-7151) and the associated web site/info source (i.e. "www.geocaching.com").
- Caches must be monitored and maintained by the placer to insure accuracy, safety, and working condition of the cache.
- Caches from organizations/websites that do not permit River Bend to find and monitor a cache online will not be permitted (such as terracaching.com).
- Please consider noting on your web listing that the cache was approved by River Bend Nature Center.
- River Bend Nature Center accepts no responsibility or liability for any cache, and will not assist in the maintenance of a cache.
Have fun and good luck!
Location of River Bend's main Interpretive Center building:
15 480722E - 4902728N (WGS84-UTM)
44 16.649N - 093 14.500W (WGS84-Lat/Lon)